It wasn’t until I moved to Texas that I found myself an amazing chili recipe!
Not only is this chili recipe a tasty treat on a cold winter day, but it is also gluten free, dairy free, soy free and super healthy. Yes, you can have both—tasty and healthy—and it is AWESOME!
What I like most about this recipe though, is the creator of it—Mica Seman.
Mica is a head strong, intelligent woman on a mission to learn as much as she can about eating for health.
“One day at work, Lily’s husband asked me if I knew what was in a microwave meal. ‘Just read the label and tell me how many ingredients you recognize,’ he said. That one, single comment really opened my eyes. For about a year now, I’ve been on a nutritional journey working to eliminate processed foods, as well as cut down my gluten and dairy intake.”
Mica’s journey has been much like mine—lots of courage to experiment and try new things combined with the ability to have compassion and patience with herself through it all.
“While removing unfriendly foods from my diet I quickly realized that I didn’t know how to cook very many things that would fit into my new guidelines. The Pinterest community has been a great resource for me while learning how to cook healthy, nutritious meals and I’ve also had the support of my friends and family. Most importantly I’ve learned to be patient with myself through all the mistakes and the repeat meals.”
It is important to keep Mica’s experience in mind as you take steps towards reaching your own health goals. It isn’t always a smooth transition, so look for support from friends and family and have fun looking up new recipes to try in the kitchen.
Often, the best way to learn and create comes from simply getting in the kitchen, letting go of expectation and experimenting and if at first you don’t succeed, please try, try again—you may surprise yourself one day by creating a new recipe—much like Mica did!
“Today I’m sharing a chili recipe that I built based off tons of ideas from others and a little of my own experimentation. I think it’s the perfect meal for a cold winter night and it’s topped with my favorite ingredient–avocado!”
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 4-6 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ bunch kale in ribbons
- ½ bunch asparagus broken into pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- ¾ cup dry kidney beans, overnight soaked in filtered water
- ¾ cup dry pinto beans, overnight soaked in filtered water
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 8oz chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Fresh basil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Coconut oil for sautéing
- Heat large stockpot and melt coconut oil.
- Sauté onions, garlic, red bell peppers, sweet potatoes, asparagus and mushrooms together in stockpot.
- Heat separate skillet and melt coconut oil. Sauté turkey in skillet with 1 teaspoon cumin.
- Add cooked turkey to stockpot and mix.
- Add tomatoes, beans, corn and chicken broth.
- Add additional teaspoon cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Bring everything to a boil; simmer covered for 90 minutes.
- Add the basil and kale shortly before serving.
- Garnish with scallions and avocado.
Gluten-Free / Dairy-Free / Soy-Free / Grain-Free
*One 15oz can of beans = ¾ cup dried beans